Friday, March 11, 2011

Back from the brink

Have been knitting and crocheting like a madwoman recently and have posted many of these items on my Ravelry Project pages. Nothing monumental or extraordinary mind you. Just some fun and funky things I've been experimenting with. What you need to know is that almost everything I knit or crochet these days is a new experience for me. I'm having a good time and making a ton of stuff to give away as gifts to friends. But I'm WAAAY behind in photographing things, so this one will be a first for here.


"SNUGGLE PUFF" Crocheted Circular Face Scrubbie
This is the first pattern I've ever written out for someone else to try! It's based on a simple circle made in Half Double Crochet that has been used for coasters, round dishcloths and other single-circle face scrubbies I've seen. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ever constructed one of these, but my friends on Ravelry have said they wanted to try to make one——so I'm happy to try to provide a written pattern. (It may be full of errors; I hope not!)  
If you do try it out, and it works for you, OR if it doesn't, would you please let me know? Thanks!
  • Yarn: Pisgah Yarn & Dye "Peaches & Crème" double worsted cotton in Aztec. Optionally, you can use two strands of worsted weight cotton yarn held together.
  • Crochet Hook: size 3.75 mm (F) for circle; 4.0 mm (G) for SC edge
  • Large-eyed blunt needle for whip-stitching edges closed. (I use a small (B) crochet hook for this, but a needle is another option.)
INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Start with a Magic Ring.
  • Crochet 6 HDC (Half Double Crochet) stitches into ring.
  • Pull tail to tighten stitches.
  • Join to beginning of round with a Slip Stitch through both loops in first HDC; CH 1.
  • Crochet 1 HDC through both loops in same stitch as the CH 1, then 2 HDC through both loops of each of the remaining HDCs (12 stitches).
  • Join to beginning of round with a Slip Stitch through both loops in first HDC; CH 1.
  • Crochet 1 HDC through both loops in same stitch as the CH 1, 1 HDC through both loops in the next HDC, and 2 HDC into both loops in each stitch around (24 stitches).
  • Join to beginning of round with a Slip Stitch through both loops in first HDC; CH 1.
  • Crochet 1 HDC through both loops in same stitch as the CH 1, 1 HDC through both loops in the next HDC, and 2 HDC through both loops in the next stitch; alternate 1 HDC with 2 HDC through both loops in each stitch around (36 stitches).
  • Join to beginning of round with a Slip Stitch through both loops in first HDC; CH 1.
  • Crochet 1 HDC into both loops in each of the stitches around.
  • Break off yarn, weave in tails and hide ends.
  • Make two of these circles.
  • With wrong sides together and leaving a tail about 4" long, seam circles together with SCs about two-thirds of the way around, leaving an opening for your fingers (either three or four fingers).
  • Finish with a whip stitch or two at the beginning and end of the SCs joining the two halves.
  • Cut or break off yarn, weave in ends. Voilà!

    © 2011 Cheryl D. Davis
Now go wash your face! :o)

The Fine Print: Although this is a very basic and straightforward pattern, please show consideration for the time and effort it takes to work it out. I'm fine with you making copies of this pattern for yourself and your fellow knitters, and I only ask that you make sure to copy the pattern so that the copyright symbol and my name is included.
Please feel free to make as many SNUGGLE PUFF Face Scrubbies as you wish for yourself or to give as gifts, but please do not make them to sell. If you have any questions, you may email me at cherylddavis2@verizon.net. You can also contact me through Ravelry from my profile page: http://www.ravelry.com/people/alleysally. Thanks and happy hooking!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! Congrats on your first pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meilynn--Thanks so much for visiting and for your kind comment! Your designs have been instrumental in my progress with crochet, so some credit (or blame! LOL) goes to you. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Idea Cheryl! Thank you for sharing your pattern with all of us! We really appreciate it! (Hopefully NO ONE will take credit for YOUR WORK!)So nice of you to offer up a FREE pattern too! I'm an instructor for Crochet & Knitting, (through Craft Yarn Council of America) & I really appreciate the work involved with writing, testing, & tweaking an original pattern! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete